"MAGNIFICENT MONOLOGUES" - Bernard Wrigley (2000)
"MAGNIFICENT MONOLOGUES" is, as the title suggests, a recording of 17 of the most well known monologues ever written. There are five of the Ramsbottom stories, including "The Lion and Albert" and "The Return Of Albert," followed by five of the Stories of Sam Small. These include the one that started it all - "Sam, Sam, Pick Up Thy Musket." Next come the historical sagas including "Battle Of Hastings" and "Magna Charter," followed by Robb Wilton's famous novelty "Back Answers" and a little-heard Al Read monologue about the problems of moving a wardrobe. All the monologues are with piano accompaniment, and a lot of them are the authentic music parts that were written for and issued on the original sheet music.
The enclosed twelve page booklet contains notes about each track, a history of the humorous monologue, and an appreciation by BBC comedy producer Mike Craig.
1. THE LION AND ALBERT (M. Edgar) (3:50)
2. THE RETURN OF ALBERT (ALBERT COMES BACK) (M Edgar) (4:01)
3 THE RECUMBENT POSTURE (M. Edgar/B. Wrigley) (3:52)
4. THE JUBILEE SOV'RIN (M. Edgar) (3:30)
5. RUNCORN FERRY (TUPPENCE PER PERSON PER TRIP)
(M. Edgar/W. Charles) (4:12)
THE SAM SMALL SAGAS
6. SAM, PICK UP THY MUSKET (OLD SAM) (S. Holloway/W. Charles) (3:01)
7. MARKSMAN SAM (M. Edgar/S. Holloway) (3:53)
8. BEAT THE RETREAT ON THY DRUM (SAM, SAM, BEAT THE RETREAT) (R.P. Weston/B. Lee/H. Weston) (3:28)
9. OLD SAM'S CHRISTMAS PUDDING (M. Ldgar/B. Wrigley) (3:44)
10. SAM'S MEDAL (M. Constanduros/M. Hogan) (4:31)
11. THE BATTLE OF HASTINGS (M. Edgar) (3:52)
12. THE MAGNA CHARTER (M. Edgar/B. Wrigley) (4:12)
13. THREE HA'PENCE A FOOT (M. Edgar) (4 21)
14. THE 'OLE IN THE ARK (M. Edgar/B. Wrigley) (3:23)
15. MY WORD, YOU DO LOOK QUEER (R. P. Weston/B. Lee) (3:57)
16. BACK ANSWERS (R. Wilton) (2:36)
17. TRY IT THE OTHER WAY ROUND (Al Read/B. Wrigley) (2:48)
Click the clickable tracks to hear MP3s (Click the MP3 section to hear all 66 x MP3s!). If you have any queries please feel free to e-mail Bernard.